Friday, May 2, 2008

All Things Superficial

We all need entertainment at some point, don't we?
So instead of posting something about what our family is doing, we're going to review a few of this week's more interesting entertaining moments. Yes, these things are...
Superficial.
Up first...the dazzling Detroit Red Wings!
Last night they swept the Colorado Avalanche in impressive fashion, with an 8-2 bludgeoning of the sixth-seeded Avs. A small slice to show how impressive the Wings are is shown in this clip of Henrik Zetterberg's goal to put the Wings up 5-1. Just watch this:
Henrik Zetterberg's Amazing Blind Spin Backhand Goal
I played this over so many times, even in slow motion. I couldn't believe it. The man takes a shot, which is blocked by the goalie. As he begins spinning, the puck rebounds off the goalie toward him. He completes his spin, taking a blind backhand swing at the puck, lifting it up and over the goalie's left shoulder. Absolutely unreal. As the announcer says, "does he see this puck?" If you play it frame to frame (I did), you can see it looks like he truly sees the puck as it rebounds toward him, so he completes his spin quickly, and it looks like he actually sees the puck before he takes his backhand shot.
And so they wait for their opponent, which will be either the Dallas Stars or the San Jose Sharks.
(Bring on the Stars!)
I added this image as a bumper sticker on facebook. Feel free to become my friend on facebook and see it for yourself.

Up next: the genuine Brooke White
Sadly, Brooke was sent home from American Idol (Season 7) this week. She was a wonderful artist, but even those of us who love Brooke could see that she wasn't performing at her best the last couple of weeks. I think we all saw this coming on Wednesday night.
So long, Brooke. We hardly knew ye.
Beyond that, I have five AI things to say:
1) David Archuleta and David Cook are the final two.
2) David Cook is hands-down the most talented, and deserves to win, but Archuleta has that teeny-bopper fan base to buoy him.
3) Syesha Mercado should definitely go into stage musicals/acting.
4) For all my loathing of Neil Diamond songs over the decades (though when I hear one, I'll usually be humming it for days), I was very impressed with the man on Tuesday and Wednesday. Especially the song he performed. Can anyone tell me if this man is a Christian?
5) How on earth is Jason Castro still here?! Someone please tell me. Who is going to pay money for a ukulele rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow??? Listen folks, as my wife has said, you cannot buy his smile! All you get is a photo (awkwardness included), maybe some lyrics, and a lot of lousy music. Ugh!
OK, I'm done. Just let me step down here and...yah, the soapbox goes right over there...thanks.

And finally: An E-mail. About feet. And the number 6.
Have you heard about this? If not, you've got to try it. I tried it and was so frustrated, I had to send it on to my co-workers. It likewise frustrated them. It looked so easy on paper (or the computer screen, in reality). Can't believe my own body won't do what I tell it to.
Here's the e-mail:
~
HOW SMART IS YOUR RIGHT FOOT?

-
You have to try this, it takes 2 seconds. I could not believe this!!! It is from an orthopedic surgeon...........
This will boggle your mind and you will keep you trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but, you can't. It's pre-programmed in your brain!
Without anyone watching you (they will think you are GOOFY......) and while sitting at your desk in front of your computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.
Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction.
I told you so!!! And there's nothing you can do about it! You and I both know how stupid it is, but before the day is done you are going to try it again, if you've not already done so.
Send it to your friends to frustrate them too.

~
OK, I tried it several times, and it was true every time. In fact, I even found that my foot changed direction when I started thinking about drawing the number six in my head (no hand involved)! That's when I gave up. At one point (and this happened to a co-worker also), I thought I'd done it, thinking I'd outsmarted my own brain. Then I realized my foot had been going the wrong direction the whole time. Kinda, weird isn't it?
-
That, folks, is all for today.
Superficial stuff, but entertaining to us.

No comments: